Thoughts and insights about prayer

This blog is for me to publish my thoughts, expereinces and insights regarding prayer from a Christian perspective and from the Scriptures

Name:
Location: Tahmoor, Wollondilly Shire / NSW, Australia

I'm 41 years old, married to Rose and have 5 boys, 3 whom are step sons. I love God, love people as well as all creation. This is where I post my thoughts,aspirations, activities and any other quirky thing that catches my interest.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Forgiveness / remission of sins

At church we have been working through a specific scripture in Luke for the past few weeks in keeping with the Sydney Anglicans strategy of 40 days of prayer.


Luk 24:44 He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."
Luk 24:45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.
Luk 24:46 He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,
Luk 24:47 and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Luk 24:48 You are witnesses of these things.
Luk 24:49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."


Today after church I was at work and there I picked up a Gideons NT to read whilst I had to attend some very important business, of a private nature...say no more. BTW I am a member of Gideons and I actually placed this bible there.
This particular version is the NKJV and verse 47 say's


Luk 24:47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be proclaimed in His name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Now we all know what forgiveness of sins means right, well i do, but this word remission of sins struck me because this is the subject I'm preaching on next Sunday - "Sin" - what struck me is how we can carry guilt around with us, condemn our selves about something we did years ago, or just 5 minutes before hand. As christians we carry a mixture of belief and unbelief, and often we mix belief and unbelief in the outworking of our faith. We allow ourselves to carry guilt and shame because we just can't or don't want to believe we are forgiven.

Remission is a great word, often used to describe terminal illness or cancer, remission in these cases means it is no longer there, it has been cured, it is no longer a threat, the body is carrying no trace of it.

Friends I can not urge you enough to believe that when you tell God you are sorry for your sins he has cast them from you as far as the east is from the west, and he remembers them no more.

Who in their right mind if they had a case of cancer or other serious terminal illness, when told that it had gone into remission, would ask the doctor to re-inject them with that desease, or germ, cancerous cell etc to bring it back to life? - the same is with our sins, stop munching on them, bringing them up and chewing on them like a cow does it's cud.

Once you are forgiven, you are forgiven, yes you might sin again, and if so, ask God to forgive you for it, don't sin lightly, do your best not to sin, and if you fail confess it to our living God and believe he has forgiven you.

Friends the greatest gift we have been given is the forgiveness of sins, the remission of them, dare believe that you have been given the all clear dispsite the past, it's what Jesus died for "YOU"

craig

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Craig...
Awesome message.....

In friendship,
Wendell

ps> I linked this article, with a new article I posted on Suite101.com (smile)

5:05 am  
Anonymous craig said...

Thanks Wendell, I know you know the truth of this.

Craig

7:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home